Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Introduction: 6 Spiritual Disciplines
The next group of postings that I wanted to work through is a more detailed look at 6 Spiritual Disciplines, originally presented in the sermon titled "The Two Voices, the Two Choices" given by Rev. Susan Grittman on August 20, 2006 at the 11:10 am service at the church I attend in Houston. Susan referenced the these Spiritual Disciplines as a way for Christians to make the "correct Choices" when confronted by the "Two Voices" of the Holy Spirit and Satan. The Disciplines are a guide to help strengthen our Christian faith in order to turn away from Satan's lies and follow the Lord's truth. These Disciplines will not keep us from being tempted. In fact, we will fall. It is a given. We are not perfect. The Disciplines are designed to help us fall less often and to live our lives in the presence of the Lord every day of our lives.

The 6 Spiritual Disciplines that I will discuss are as follows. I will address each one with my comments, as well as scriptural references.

1. Participate in Church
2. Read the Bible Daily
3. Assume Responsibility for Your Thought Life
4. Renounce Old Ways of Thinking, Feeling, and Acting as They Present Themselves
5. Pray Daily
6. Don't Depend on Others to Fight Your Battles

 
  posted at 6:00 AM
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the list of 6 disciplines! I hope you don't mind if I post them on my blog - I will give you full credit of course!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger JD said...

Sure. I will be posting comments about Part 1 tonight (09/10/2006). I have been so frustrated about work lately, it is crazy busy. And when not dealing
with work, I try to spend time with the family, so I have not had time
to finish it. I plan to, if time allows, post about one discipline every 2 to 3 days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

I am JD
From Texas

My Complete Profile

Search


Read It
ENTER YOUR E-MAIL



Powered by


Latest Posts
  • Christian Conversations

  • Conversation meme

  • Conversations with Friends AKA Finding the Will AN...

  • Celebrities are Christians Too

  • I Need You To Love Me

  • Too bad I did not have a backup hard drive...

  • I'm Back....I think...No Really, I Am

  • The Lonely, Impatient Christian: Impatience

  • The Lonely, Impatient Christian: Introduction

  • I've Been Busy...


  • Archives
  • February 2006

  • March 2006

  • April 2006

  • July 2006

  • August 2006

  • September 2006

  • October 2006

  • November 2006

  • December 2006

  • January 2007

  • February 2007

  • March 2007

  • April 2007

  • May 2007

  • July 2007

  • August 2007

  • September 2007

  • October 2007

  • November 2007

  • December 2007

  • January 2008

  • March 2008

  • April 2008

  • May 2008

  • November 2008

  • December 2008


  • Blogs I Read
  • Angela Messenger
  • Gen-X Missional Wesleyan
  • Gloria Deo
  • Growing Vertical
  • The Ironic Catholic
  • Locusts and Honey
  • Loved Sinner
  • Mitch Lewis
  • Post-Methodist

  • Sites to Visit
  • BibleGateway.com
  • Blue Letter Bible
  • The Loft Worship
  • Lark News
  • My Utmost

  • Blogrolls
    Methodist Blogroll [-]

    Worth a Read

    Sinai 

Summit
    Sinai Summit
    by Rick Atchley

    Practice of 

Presence of God

    Practice of Presence of God
    by Brother Lawrence

    Mere Christianity

    Mere Christianity
    by C.S. Lewis

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Image from:
    www.istockphoto.com

    Powered by:


    Meter: