Monday, July 16, 2007
Good-bye MaMaw :(
This may seem a little dated, but to me, it is always in my heart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lois Brazan Durocher
Born: December 24, 1916
Died: June 23, 2007

From left: my daughter, me, my niece, and MaMaw (my dad's mother)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was not until, as with every funeral I have had to attend in the last few years, that I was there, at the viewing, that it really hit me. My grandmother, MaMaw, had passed. She had been sick. Had what they call "geriatric leukemia." As my wife put it (being the RN she is), "Geriatric leukemia is a term used by doctors that really means you're old and your blood is not replicating like it should. It is similar to leukemia in nature, but occurs for a different reason."

Whether she was right or not, I am not going to argue it. My MaMaw had lived a long, fulfilled life. She had been sick, not only with "geriatric leukemia," but arthritis. Face it, she was old. She had bore 5 children and had seen 11 grandchildren and 9 great-grandchildren (give or take a few, who is really counting?). She had lived through the great depression, 6 or so wars, quite a few hurricanes, and a genuine, but ornery husband, yet in all that time, she still managed to smile.

Each of the family members can tell you different things about her: how great her cooking was, how she was dedicated to attending mass just about everyday (as long as I could remember), she took care of her children. Stories of joy and sorrow.

One thing is for certain, she has touched many lives and she will be missed for years to come.

Labels:


 
  posted at 10:51 PM
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 6:12 PM, Blogger John said...

JD, my prayers are with you and your family during this time of mourning. And from your post, I take it that it is also a time of celebration of her life.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger JD said...

Thanks, John.

Oh yea! I have not ever been to a funeral in Louisiana where it was not also a celebration of the life that touched so many others. My uncle passed in the late 90's from liver failure. He was younger, so there was more sadness, but his life was celebrated after the internment.

PAX
JD

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JD - please accept my condolences on the passing of your "MaMaw" She looks like she was an awesome granmother!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

I am JD
From Texas

My Complete Profile

Search


Read It
ENTER YOUR E-MAIL



Powered by


Latest Posts
  • Long Time Gone

  • A Little Bit of Irony, A Whole Lot of Excitement

  • We'll Miss You Pastor Burt

  • The Beast, a poem by Kent Bevers

  • HE IS STILL RISEN!

  • If Only I'd Known

  • Oswald Chambers on Abandonment

  • Nashville Tour - That Band at The Place

  • Nashville Tour - Red Wings 2 Predators 1

  • Nashville Tour - CJ Vaughn and Highway 58


  • Archives
  • February 2006

  • March 2006

  • April 2006

  • July 2006

  • August 2006

  • September 2006

  • October 2006

  • November 2006

  • December 2006

  • January 2007

  • February 2007

  • March 2007

  • April 2007

  • May 2007

  • July 2007

  • August 2007

  • September 2007

  • October 2007

  • November 2007

  • December 2007

  • January 2008

  • March 2008

  • April 2008

  • May 2008

  • November 2008

  • December 2008


  • Blogs I Read
  • Angela Messenger
  • Gen-X Missional Wesleyan
  • Gloria Deo
  • Growing Vertical
  • The Ironic Catholic
  • Locusts and Honey
  • Loved Sinner
  • Mitch Lewis
  • Post-Methodist

  • Sites to Visit
  • BibleGateway.com
  • Blue Letter Bible
  • The Loft Worship
  • Lark News
  • My Utmost

  • Blogrolls
    Methodist Blogroll [-]

    Worth a Read

    Sinai 

Summit
    Sinai Summit
    by Rick Atchley

    Practice of 

Presence of God

    Practice of Presence of God
    by Brother Lawrence

    Mere Christianity

    Mere Christianity
    by C.S. Lewis

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Image from:
    www.istockphoto.com

    Powered by:


    Meter: