Sunday, October 07, 2007
What's Your Motto?
Tara over at Loved Sinner asks the question: What is your motto? Here are a few excerpts that I found rather challenging.

This morning at Communion, Deacon Bob, in his homily said, “I might have the occasion to die for you, but I’m not going to Hell for you.” I love that quote--it’s a quote my Priest, Father Erik, uses often. When someone asks Father to just bend the rules a bit, or make exceptions--he gets this great look on his face, that just tickles me silly, and then he says, “I’m not going to Hell for you!” I love it! In this life you will either take people to Heaven with you or you will take them to Hell with you.

But, of course, St. Francis said to him: “Preach always, and if necessary use words.” Others, see what we do, see what we wear, and how we act. So what are you telling others by your examples?

St. Francis’ life rule or motto became, “preach always and if necessary use words.” By my example, am I taking people to Heaven, or Hell? My life rule, my motto, hmmm? Perhaps, “When you know better, you do better?” or “Lord, have mercy on me the sinner?” What do I want my life motto to be? From my favorite Bible verse, 1 Corinthians 13: “Love never fails.” Real love meaning loving the other person enough to want what is best for them--not me. Truly giving Real love, not enabling others to stay in sin, saying nice things to make them feel better, or giving them money to help them continue to make bad decisions--but to truly love them by telling them the truth and not imposing my selfish needs at their expense.


Hop on over and check her stuff out...if you dare to be challenged.

Hat tip: Tara at Loved Sinner


Labels:


 
  posted at 12:52 AM
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 8:07 PM, Blogger John said...

I don't have one, but I really like Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc!

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger JD said...

Thanks, John, but my Latin is extremely rusty....15 years ago in high school rusty. Could you elaborate?

PAX
JD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

I am JD
From Texas

My Complete Profile

Search


Read It
ENTER YOUR E-MAIL



Powered by


Latest Posts
  • It's Official - Dorky Light-Weight Nerd

  • Proper Church Attire

  • I Made the Switch

  • Lessons from St. Arbucks

  • SAY WHAT?!?!?

  • Letting Go and Letting God

  • Good Advice on Scripture

  • Commitment - Complete Surrender, You Say Tomato, I...

  • Hole Hearted or Whole Hearted?

  • Are We Are Made For Worship or Is Worship Made For...


  • Archives
  • February 2006

  • March 2006

  • April 2006

  • July 2006

  • August 2006

  • September 2006

  • October 2006

  • November 2006

  • December 2006

  • January 2007

  • February 2007

  • March 2007

  • April 2007

  • May 2007

  • July 2007

  • August 2007

  • September 2007

  • October 2007

  • November 2007

  • December 2007

  • January 2008

  • March 2008

  • April 2008

  • May 2008

  • November 2008

  • December 2008


  • Blogs I Read
  • Angela Messenger
  • Gen-X Missional Wesleyan
  • Gloria Deo
  • Growing Vertical
  • The Ironic Catholic
  • Locusts and Honey
  • Loved Sinner
  • Mitch Lewis
  • Post-Methodist

  • Sites to Visit
  • BibleGateway.com
  • Blue Letter Bible
  • The Loft Worship
  • Lark News
  • My Utmost

  • Blogrolls
    Methodist Blogroll [-]

    Worth a Read

    Sinai 

Summit
    Sinai Summit
    by Rick Atchley

    Practice of 

Presence of God

    Practice of Presence of God
    by Brother Lawrence

    Mere Christianity

    Mere Christianity
    by C.S. Lewis

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Image from:
    www.istockphoto.com

    Powered by:


    Meter: